Thursday, April 11, 2013

I go hard in the 3D cakes!

Posted by Laura at 10:00 AM
Here's my Rock Band tribute cake. It was also made as a send off to a dear friend that was moving away.

What better way to send her off than a night of good old fashioned Rock Band?

So we did what we do best: go totally overboard and theme out our Rock Band party. We sprayed our hair pink, dressed in our Rock and Roll gear, set up the instruments and jammed out all night till our hands hurt and our voices were gone.

 But when it came time for dessert, my friends were in for quite a surprise: My first ever 3D cake.

The cake itself was basic vanilla with butter cream icing. Of course, I used my trusty Wilton cake recipe. The time and effort was all in the decorating.

I did the entire cake in homemade butter cream icing (one that's an absolute secret). I free hand piped the side of the cake that mimics the bars where the notes show up on the screen when you play Rock Band. I made all the instruments and Rock Band logo in fondant icing.
While it might not be the best, the most outrageous or even the most difficult cake, this one will always be my favorite. It was my first time stepping outside of that "safe" cake zone and doing something crazy.
It's also the day I learned I had more patience than I ever thought.






 

 


 
 
 

0 comments on "I go hard in the 3D cakes!"

Post a Comment

If you like it - Share it!

Ą

Queen of Sweets Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez