Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Aloha! A Luau Baby Shower Cake

Posted by Laura at 11:43 AM
One of my dear friends was having a baby shower a few months ago. She didn't want the typical baby blue tablecloths and baby Disney characters. She didn't want cars, or jungle or special character themes. She wanted something different.
A luau!

So when I first approached the idea, I thought of making a pregnant belly with coconut top bikini and grass skirt with a lei around the neck. But then I thought, this particular friend didn't really have such an enjoyable pregnancy. So to play it safe, I did a regular old tiki cake.

The only part of the cake that even had to do with "baby" was the surf board.

I made a large tiki hut face out of fondant as the cake topper and some chocolate mold fish as some decorations. The surfboard was fondant and the writing was used with a special food color pen.

The cake itself was vanilla with butter cream frosting. Instead of making a fondant covered cake, I decided to make it look more "beachy" to keep with the theme. So I frosted the top of the cake with icing, blended a half a box of vanilla wafers and covered the top with a sand-like texture.

I used the very delicious (although very expensive) Pirouette cookies for the tiki torches around the cake and secured them with a bow. This was really to tighten the cake so it would fit in the basket, but it really worked well aesthetically.

I used the flowers to fill in the gaps in the basket and give it some color.

I must have done something right on this one. It's the first cake I made that was COMPLETELY gone in less than 20 minutes.










0 comments on "Aloha! A Luau Baby Shower Cake"

Post a Comment

If you like it - Share it!

Ą

Queen of Sweets Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez